Tuesday, January 25, 2011

More plans



I started building the back wall and quickly decided that I need to figure out how the top was going to fold. This aspect of the design has considerable potential for problems. To this end I constructed a 1/10th scale model. With some jiggling and finagling I was able to come up with a plan that I'm pretty sure will work. My goal here is to keep the set-up and take-down as simple as possible. Ideally, the canvas cover will be fixed in place and will simply pop up as the front and back are pulled out. Once up, the cover will be supported by a snap-together frame. There are still some things that need to be resolved, but in my mind it works (ha!). A second advantage to making the scale model is that I could figure out where the smoke stack would go (roughly), and where the awning will be attached. This point of attachment needs to be 7 feet off the ground while still leaving enough room for the stack jack. The point of attachment is marked with a Sharpie line in the upper drawing. Looks like it will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment